Have a dinner party at the weekend and not sure what to do with the left over cheese? Or perhaps you are just looking for a little bit of comfort food? The Artisan Irish Cheeseboard Macaroni Cheese is the perfect solution!
This has been a favourite in my house for some years – and we must have tried over 20 different combinations of cheese so far. With each one working as well as the next. Try to include at least one hard, strong cheese – such as Mount Leinster or Cais Na Tire. Other than that, this Irish Cheeseboard Macaroni Cheese is exceptionally verstile and a brilliant use for the odds and ends you may have hiding in the back of the fridge!
And once you’ve cleared the decks you can have a guilt free restock! Why not try our Raw Milk Irish Cheeseboard?
- 500g Bunalan Organic Penne Pasta ( or Macaroni if you wanna make it true )
- 4tbsp Abernethy Butter
- 2 Diced Garlic Cloves
- 3tsp Grahams Dijon Mustard
- 4tbsp Plain Flour
- 600ml Organic Whole Milk
- 350g Mixed Grated Cheese
- Boil & then simmer your pasta for roughly 2 minutes less than the stated cooking time. You want it to be slightly firmer than your usual al dente.
- Meanwhile you can make a start on your cheese sauce – on a medium heat add the butter & mustard powder to a frying pan & gently fry off the garlic. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk slowly whilst whisking to ensure a lump free sauce. Simmer for approx 5 minute or until sauce has thickened. Lower heat & fold in 300g of the cheese.
- Combine the pasta & sauce and pour into a large over proof dish – sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approx 20mins @ 180c – until the top is browned & lovely!